Puppy potty training is something that can be done rather easily, and it is something that can pose a real problem. Although it is a process that comes in steps, character of a dog plays a significant part. This means that no matter how many times you do it; it will always be a new experience.
Luckily for you, regardless of whether your dog is stubborn or obedient, puppies can easily be swayed. In other words, if you put yourself into it, success is almost always guaranteed.
Things you have to know about puppies
Obedience and respect is the basis for puppy potty training. But do not be confused; you should be stern but gentle. Violence isn’t something that should be supported when it comes to potty training or any other puppy training as of that. Everything you do and every skill you teach a dog should primarily be based on patience and respect.
Dogs are used to living in packs. It is in their nature. As such, it comes natural to them to have an authority figure and to be in a good relationship with other members. If you create such a relationship from the get go, it will become customary for a dog and it will persist till the rest of its life.
However, it’s not only all about instincts and hierarchy as dog needs to see a friend in you. Potty training is just the thing that will strengthen that relationship and build trust.
Actionable tips that will help you out during the training
After understanding basic dog behavior, it’s time to talk about potty training itself. Here are the things you have to know regarding puppy’s organism, its potting habits and how to properly nurture them.
- Puppies have little to no understanding of its surroundings. Like its mother, you need to guide it through every process including potty training. Dog will create habits based on this and if you mess it up, it will stick with it till the rest of its life.
- You are the leader, puppy is the follower. You need to be harsh but gentle in showing dog how things are done.
- If you leave the puppy in the house, it will start peeing. It will react to its natural instinct without thinking. This is why you need to be outside when the urge appears. Always wake up before the dog and take it out before it starts pooping or urinating.
- When it comes to pooing, proper diet is crucial. Feed your dog same portions each and every day. If it doesn’t eat its potion, make sure to remove it. This will prevent whole day eating and allow you to predict puppy’s bowel movement.
- All dogs have three main timings for relieving themselves: as soon as they wake up, after a big meal and in the evening, before going to bed.
- Dog has the urge to urinate when it wakes up due to full bladder. Make sure to be on your feet asap and take it out before it starts peeing around.
- Also, dogs need to urinate before going to sleep. This is something you have to force onto puppy. Otherwise, if dog goes to sleep with full bladder, there is a chance it will start peeing during sleep.
- Avoid petting dog prior to going out. When excited, dog’s bladder tend to relax and it will lose control over its functions.
As you can see, these tips seem rather easy and straightforward. When it comes to potty training, dogs need to create a routine similar to one that humans have. Just make sure to be patient, persistent and to do everything with love because this is a good chance to create a bond with a dog.